Wednesday, June 18, 2014

How low should my camera hang from the neck strap?




teenEDITOR


This is a terribly newbie question, but I've been wondering. Should the camera be at my chest? near my waist? I have a DSLR


Answer
Everyone has their preferences, but let me tell you mine.

Put your arms straight now on your sides.
Then, cross them so they overlap.

I like to have my DSLR camera body there, because that's the natural place to reach with my hands. One shouldn't have to fumble around when the perfect shot appears.

If the camera is too low (waist or lower) then it bounces against some pretty delicate areas if you are walking or running with it. This can be especially uncomfortable if you have a longer lens attached. I also discovered that a metal beltbuckle can really scratch up a camera.

If the camera is too high (chest level), then you don't have very much neckstrap leeway. When you lift the camera up to your eye, and if you turn it sideways for "portrait" orientation, the short strap becomes an obstacle.

By the way, you may notice professional sportsphotographer or photojournalists wearing two cameras at different strap heights. Why? That way, the camera won't be banging into each other and they avoid damage to their expen$ive lenses.

Can someone measure their Canon dslr camera strap for me, please?




tkdtkd


I'm making a cover for the strap, but don't have the camera with me. I have a Canon Rebel t1i, but think all the straps are the same. Can someone give me the exact dimensions - width and length of the wider part of the strap, please? See this link for the design if you like...http://www.designspongeonline.com/2009/06/diy-wednesdays-camera-strap-cover.html

Also, if you have the kit lens - 18-55mm, can you give me the diameter of the widest part of the lens, please? I'm also making a little bag for the lens. Unfortunately my camera and sewing machine are in different states right now!

Thank you so much!



Answer
My Canon is a Rebel XTi, 4 years old, but I do still have the strap. It is 20 1/2 inches long as in those directions, but the width is 1 9/16. Just a tad over the 1 1/2 the directions say.

I absolutely hate that strap! I bought another one when I got the camera. It was only about $12 and is a little stretchy and soft on my neck.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How low should my camera hang from the neck strap?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment