Saturday, March 1, 2014

Which Semi Pro video camera should I buy?




sprattoo


I am getting lost shopping for video cameras. I need external microphone inputs, would like to be able to use headphones, would like video outputs for Jib use. I would like to be able to film in HD, and I really like the idea of filming to SD cards or HDD instead of using mini DV tapes.
My Budget is something under $2,000.
I will be using the cam for short films, commercials, Live DJ / video presentations.
any suggestions?



Answer
"DJ"=Loud audio=lots of vibration. Hard disk drive (HDD) camcorders should not be on your short list. They can stop recording because the HDD heads are protecting the platters and can stop recording under high vibration levels.

ALL camcorders have AV out connectivity so you can connect to a remote/external monitor for jib/crane use.

A prosumer cam will have a stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) audio input AND manual audio control. You can add an XLR adapter for use of XLR mics. BeachTek or juicedLink.

Given the pro-level requirements, you must have low compression video file capture. This means - for high definition - HDV, DVCPRO HD, HDCAM or XDCAM. No AVCHD.

DJ=low light=camcorder needs large lenses and large 3CCD or 3CMOS imaging chip system to capture video under low light conditions.

The only cam that comes close is the Sony HDR-FX7. but it will not meet the low light requirements. The HDR-FX1000 will meet all the technical requirements but is miniDV tape and outside your budget. JVC GY-HM100 is flash memory saves to h.264 MOV files but is outside your budget.

You need to reduce your requirements or increase your budget... Or investigate the lower end of the dSLR (those able to also capture high definition video) area and separate audio capture system.

Best possible beginners camera kit for $1000?




Doug


Ok so recently I have convinced my dad to finally let me do some filming for his company. I recently broke into the world of cinematography and video production, in which I am very interested. So I know just a good brief idea of filming. The kind of filming I will be doing is interior and exterior footage of homes. My dad is a general contractor so he basically does remodeling and renovations for his clients. The thing i'm trying to do is put videos of finished projects he has done and showcase it on his website so that potential clients will see his "amazing" work. The emphasis of that word "amazing" is implying that I will do shots of the homes after they are finished being fixed and remodeled. I am not nessesarialy talking about photoshopping the video, but rather adding filters and editing shots together into a final video. My goal is to make a good impression on his future clients and do "good" work on filming and editing. I know that for camera you can get a DSLR for around $500 or a HD CamCorder for around $200. But is there something better camera than a DSLR or HD CamCorder that will leave me some more money in my $1000 dollar budget for other equipment? Also, what kind of equipment am I going to need for this kind of work. Is a camera and tripod good enough? Or is there more I should include in my $1000 budget like extra stabilizers, steadicams, camera dollies (with or without tracks), camera filters, camera accessories, etc? As far as video quality, my goal is to get the same quality image/video footage like in HGTV's show Selling New York, or BravoTV's Million Dollar Listing New York. The way they show the homes and apartments is very appealing to me, also the way they have these video affect like time lapse footage and special camera techniques with dollies, jibs, and cranes. My other goal is when I start into my planned real estate broker/agent career, is to showcase homes very excellent and impress buyers and sellers. Of course that is a long time from now, so in the meanwhile I will start with this project. Remember that my budget is $1000, maybe a bit more over. I will owning this camera essentially, adding to equipment and such with time. But for now its around $1000.


Answer
Hi Doug:

First, get out of your head that âfor $1000 or soâ you'll compete with the "look" of major cable network shows like "Million Dollar Listing" or "Selling New York", which have easily $250,000-$500,000 in camera, lighting, sound, & editing gear, not to mention tons more expertise and crew members than you'll ever dream of.

This isn't to say that you can't duplicate good-looking shots, with proper knowledge, training, practice/experience on your own, with a single camera & tripod (and perhaps a home-made mini-jib or "slider" mount to simulate dolly & crane moves) and simple lighting techniques.

If web viewing on your dad's site is your ultimate goal for the home remodeling showcase "footage", my initial recommendation is just to shoot good still photos, with a DSLR (which will allow lens changes cheaper than any camcorder you could afford -- most "House Beautiful" and "Architectural Digest" photo spreads of room views are with wide-angle lenses), and just use a video/photo editing software package with what's called the "Ken Burns Effect" (look it up on Wikipedia or on Apple's iMovie/iPhoto info pages). This will add "movement" and variety to an otherwise dull slideshow. But at least with digital photos you can concentrate on taking one good image at a time, and still do your time-lapse sequences, if you wish.

Prospective home buyers & remodeling customers are more interested in quick views of website photos, rather than sitting through an extended video when browsing online. HGTV & Bravo produce mostly sit-down TV entertainment, not web-browsing P.R./marketing content.

You might be eager to learn and practice your video/filmmaking skills, but until you master the photographic composition and lighting/exposure basics, you'll find you are just trying to put your "wants" ahead of your dad's website/marketing "needs".

hope this helps,
--Dennis C.
 




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Which Semi Pro video camera should I buy?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment