Monday, February 24, 2014

Why do filmmakers prefer DSLR Cameras instead of Camcorders?




Mikey


I have noticed this lately and I am just curious to why filmmakers prefer DSLR style cameras instead of Camcorder style Camcorders. It just seems quite odd to me :/
Thanks!



Answer
These things are a matter of opinion, there are pros and cons to different styles of cameras and what you have to do is work out which one is best for the movie shoot you are doing.

DSLR cameras have many pros (as well as many cons), mainly down to image quality. DSLRs were originally meant for photographs, so the sensors in them are massive. This is very important because it gives an incredibly sharp picture. They way they compress the images, and the lack of interloping makes them sharper, less blurry and in general more attractive. They also have interchangeable lens, so you can use appropriate primes for your shoot, rather than being stuck with one zoom lens that you can't take off. They most attractive thing about them is their price. They are incredibly cheap compared to an equivalent camcorder, and with money being a hard thing to come by this is a big pro! On top of this, they are small and light weight which does make them very useful for getting that shot that your camcorder is just too big to fit place. Their weight make them ideal for easy to use stedi-cam rigs, jibs and those sort of moving camera rigs.

It may seem odd, your right. I personally prefer using proper cinema cameras (the Red Epic is my favourite), but they simply do cost far too much for a lot of people. DSLRs are used more because they are cheap and easy to get hold of.

All the best,
Brice

What type of camera is better over all,Camcorder or DSLR?




Mumin


i don'tt know which to choose as having as a camera,i want to take amazing quality photos(in a photography sense) and i want to be able to record videos in high HD quality.i want to be able to use lenses forfocusing and id like to be able to attach an external display monitor as well as a microphone plug-in port,my main goal is to start making blog videos for my music and also making music videos for my music to put on YouTube. i also want to have a quiet camera,i hate that light buzzing noise in my videos,which type of camera is better overall and follows my standards?please link me some top models on the market,thanks


Answer
Hate the buzzing, don't use the camcorders Microphone, record externally. Most DSLR cameras I know only record like 10 minutes at time, the SD card transfer speeds are not fast enough for video taking. Remember, Video on DSLR is only an added benefit in the past few years. With everything you need or want, stay away from a DSLR and get a Camcorder for the videos and go MiniDV tape if there is to be any action in the shot. Then get a Camera for pictures. And here is a little information. Recently my better half and a friend went to an event happening in our city. The friend had a $900 DSLR and my better half had a $89, on sale, point and shoot 10 MP camera. When it was all said and done, there was no difference in picture or video quality between the two cameras. This friend will not do a video comparison with my Canon MiniDV tape camcorders, she does not like to loose and knows she will if we do that. I have seen for sale, no idea where, a little point and shoot camera that has interchangeable lenses.

http://asimplelife.ca/boss.html What I use to capture audio. That and my local Music Store, the one that sells Drum Kits, Guitars and many other Musical Instruments, and their rental program will get me what i need to get the job done, when I need it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why do filmmakers prefer DSLR Cameras instead of Camcorders?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment