Friday, February 28, 2014

DSLR Camera Help...?

Q. This has to be the 10th question I've posted about deciding on a DSLR camera =P Okay, so here it goes:
I am looking for a good starter camera (Nikon) but nothing that isn't "limited in controls" (as one of my past questions was answered.)
I want a good camera (thinking about a D40x) with a 18mm - 200mm lens. What is this lens best for?
I have heard that if I'm planning doing anything serious with Photography, I should go ahead and just step it up to the D80.
Should I stick to the D40x as a starter and just buy the 18-200 lens?
The 18-200 lens was recommended by my technology teacher, and she was satisfied with it, so I thought maybe I should buy that one, instead of 2 different lenses (18-55 and 55-200)
I need help on some specs and stuff, help me decide what may be best for me?
Thanks a lot guys,
-A.J.
Alright...so I'm planning on spending no more than $900 or $1000 on this camera.
I just want the camera body, and the 18mm - 200mm lens, unless there's a better combination.
If I have the D40x, can I still use manual focus?
It doesn't just have Auto Focus does it?
Or does the 18mm - 200mm lens not let you use manual focus while having that lens?
Confusing.
Okay, so I don't think I want to spend $900 to $1000.
I definitely don't want to spend any more than $700 $750ish.
I found a good deal on just a Nikon D40. It's $549.99 with a 18-55mm lens, and a 55-200mm lens also. Both lenses and and the D40 body. It's still 6.1 Megapixels but I think I can deal with it. =)
Is this a better decision that trying to worry with the D40x and finding a lens for that?
-A.J.


Answer
I was a Nikon (F2AS & FM2) user-but switched to Canon a while ago (Digital Rebel and later 5D). So I can't really give you any sound advice on the lens itself. However, I am sure by now you realize that D40 (and D40X) are only able to autofocus with AF-S lenses only (those lenses with autofocus motor inside). This limits you to a few Nikon & Sigma lenses (but in time, no doubt more will be available.)

And I believe it does not have a depth-of-field preview button either.

You will do better if you bought at least the Nikon D80. If you can live with the shortcoming(s) of D40 (or D40x), or if your budget does not allow you to get the D80, then you can work around it.

A friend has D40 and she has taken beautiful photos with it. It really is the person behind the camera that does the work.

Have you gone to the store and played with either one yourself?

Here is a really nice review on D40 by Popular Photography magazine. http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3756/camera-test-nikon-d40.html

And here is one on the X model.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3896/camera-test-nikon-d40x.html

And of Nikon D80.
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3231/camera-test-nikon-d80.html

Hope this helps, even a little.

Addendum: D40 and the x model do not have an autofocus motor inside the camera body so it will only autofocus with a lens that has a motor built in. This limits you to a few lenses Nikon & Sigma (I am sure there will be plenty others) make or you will have to manually focus the lens yourself. You may think it's not a big deal but it gets old really quickly.

This is the page of that lens (have you looked?) http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=2159 and it states it has a motor built in, so yes, it will work with Nikon D40 ( and x)

Furthermore, this is what their website says about these models:

Compatible Lenses*: Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor:
1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported;
2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus
3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus
4) Other AF Nikkor*ù/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
*ù Excluding lenses for F3AF

----------------

A friend has D40 and she has taken some beautiful photos with it. It's not the camera--it's the photographer!! So stop worrying so much--buy it (this black Friday, I suppose) and go out and take beautiful photos and enjoy yourself.

What kind of DSLR camera should i get?




Teresa


My budget is virtually limitless but i'd like to keep it around £700 as my parents would be angry if i
spend more than that.

I like using natural light in my photos as much as i can and normally just shoot landscapes like rivers and forests. My dad has an SLR canon and I love that camera but he doesn't let me use it often so I want my own, I just have a normal bridge camera and I am getting bored of it.



Answer
Depends on how used to u are to a DSLR....

If u'r a newbie go for a midrange Dx format DSLR say Nikon D5100,Nikon D90,Nikon D7000 or Canon 550D, Canon 60D

if u are getting your 2nd DSLR go for Nikon D700 or Canon EOS 5D Mark II




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: DSLR Camera Help...?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment