Sunday, February 16, 2014

Good compact 12-14 Megapixel camera?




Mr SmoothH


What are the good compact digital camera that have 12-14 Megapixel capacity?

Don't want to spend more than $400 or so.



Answer
I love Canon brand!

Take a look at these 2 Canon compact cameras. I've made a comparison for you :)
They both are 12 MP.

http://www.urlfunz.com/SxzaN

Comparison between Nikon L810 and Canon Powershot SX500?




Mom_to_3


Earlier this year, I decided to upgrade my Kodak Point-and-Shoot to a bridge camera. I wanted the SuperZoom, plus the ability to take action shots, shots in low light, and have more options as to the quality of the photos. I am a hobbiest, not a pro by any means. I primarily take action photos (sports), photos of my children, photos of my pets, and outdoor scenery.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix L810 (June 2012) and HATE IT. My shots are always blurry, whether I use a tripod or just hold the camera. Outdoors, the colors are rich and lush. Inside, the photos are grainy and too warm in tone. The zoom never wants to focus at full zoom; sometimes the shutter won't engage. I frequently miss shots because of those two reasons. The flash is either Auto or Off -- many times the flash doesn't even go off, even though I know I'm in a low light situation. I've tried different settings (all preset, no manual controls) and nothing seems to help.

I was looking at a Canon Powershot SX500 as a replacement. I hate to spend the money (my budget was around $200 when I bought the Nikon; this camera runs about $250) but I'm so unhappy with the Nikon (I have only owned Kodaks before this).

Can anyone help with what I should do here? Would the Canon be a better camera or would it be about the same and I'd be in the same boat that I am now? Thanks.


Coolpix L810 :http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon---Coolpix-L810-16.1-Megapixel-Digital-Camera---Black/4861063.p?skuId=4861063&id=1218555766785

Powershot SX500: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon---PowerShot-SX500-16.0-Megapixel-Digital-Camera---Black/6364218.p?skuId=6364218&id=1218731589757
It's possible I misunderstood what the definition of what a "bridge camera" really was -- I don't remember the exact reason why I thought it was. I knew the price was too good to be true. I would like to know why lower megapixels result in better photos. Thanks for the information.



Answer
The trouble with buying a cheap camera is that you usually do have to expect some compromises in regards to image quality and performance. The Nikon L810 is...NOT a bridge camera. What made you think it was one? Most likely, because it looks like one. In reality it's just a very basic point and shoot camera with a telephoto zoom lens. It has NO manual controls (no aperture and/or shutter priority modes) so it's only point and shoot. Also, from all the image samples and reviews I've seen of it, image quality is far from impressive.

The SX500 IS is a compact camera with a 30X optical zoom lens, but it's not a bridge camera. It will definitely produce better quality images than the L810 (but not overly better). In it's favour...it does have full manual controls (aperture and shutter priority modes). This allows you to set your aperture and/or shutter speeds if you wish (all bridge cameras also have this). However, it has a very POOR battery life of only about 195 shots per full charge, so you'd need to charge frequently (before the start of each shooting day).

I recommend (if it's at all possible) that you stretch you budget a bit further if you want a better camera. For example, the Powershot SX50 HS or SX40 HS (both of these are bridge cameras).
They each have 12MP and the latest Digic 5 processor.
The SX500 IS has 16MP and the older, Digic 4 processor.
For better image quality, it's better to have less MP, not more...and that's why the SX50 HS and SX40 HS produce better image quality (the newer processor also adds to improved IQ).
Also to their advantage...BETTER battery life (315 shots, SX50 HS and 380 shots for the SX40 HS). They also have a fully articulated LCD screen that flips out and around and they also record movies in Full HD (1920 x 1080). The SX500 IS records movies in HD (1280 x 720).

The obvious downside to you...they cost more than your budget allows and they weigh a bit more.
Best Buy currently has the newer model SX50 HS on sale for $400 and the older model, SX40 HS for $430.

Walmart...is selling the SX50 HS for $400...BUT the SX40 HS is only $329. The SX500 IS is around $250. I think it's definitely worth paying an extra $80 to get a much better camera...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PowerShot-SX40-HS-Black-12.1MP-Digital-Camera-w-35X-Optical-Zoom-with-8GB-SD-Card/20710453

But, if your budget won't stretch this far, then the SX500 IS should be just fine as long as you accept it's shortcomings and also take it's poor battery life into account. You would also need an SDHC memory card. You could use the one from your Nikon, as long as it's fast enough (Class 10 SDHC is best). You would also need to FORMAT it in your new camera (via the Menu).

Good luck...




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Good compact 12-14 Megapixel camera?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment