Monday, June 23, 2014

DSLR vs. HD Camcorder?




Mike Seebr


I am in the midst of choosing a new camera. Right now I am trying to choose between a really nice Camcorder, and a really nice DSLR. Currently I record videos for YouTube on my not-so-hd camcorder, which is a JVC GZ-HM200BU.

what I have now:
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Everio-GZ-HM200-High-Def-Camcorder/dp/B001OMH1JQ

The problem is that with this Camera, It has poor exposure and looks terrible when there is little light. Also, I record in usually small locations, such as medium sized rooms and hallways, and the camera is very bad at capturing everything when I am close to whatever I am filming.

To be honest, these are really my two main concerns when recording video, and whatever I get, it needs to be able to do that.

What my real question is, is that, what is the best camera and lens to get. What I am trying to decide is whether to get a DSLR camera, or an HD Professional/near professional Camcorder.

Here are my two options.

Canon XA10 Camcorder: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/professional_camcorders/xa10

Canon Rebel Ti3 18-55mm IS II Kit DSLR:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t3i_18_55mm_is_ii_kit

I am looking to spend no more than $2,000, but I am a little flexible on price. I love the quality of the DSLR, and the depth perception of them. And I love the fact that its $1,000 cheaper than the XA10, but someone told me that some DSLR's don't record sound? And also, I don't want to spend twice as much in lenses. And if i did get a DSLR, what type of lens would fit best for the conditions of recording's that i listed earlier.

I also really like the XA10. I love the idea of camcorder, rather than the DSLR's, and I love the feel and looks of them too. Especially with the Carrying handle and the mic holder. But it is going to be $1,000 more than the DSLR and I dont want to have to buy another $1000 dollars worth in lenses.

I know this is allot of questions, but i really need to know what to get. Im sure I am going to be pleased with whatever I do eventually end up purchasing, but I would prefer some additional advice before making a mistake.



Answer
If you are going to be recording video A LOT get a camcorder unless you are a cinematographer:

Consumer Camcorders will auto focus when panning around.
DSLRs will auto focus ONCE when you start recording. You need to use manual focus if you want to change it while recording.

Most Camcorders have shake reduction to steady the picture.
Most DSLRs shake reduction systems(like Canon IS) are designed for still subjects and will cause sudden picture jerking if you pan the camera while recording.

Most Camcorders have extended Zoom ranges of over 10:1
Most DSLR lenses keep the Zoom range to 5:1 or so for better picture quality

Camcorders have things like Nightshot for IR recording
DSLRs are mostly limited to visible light (unless you get a special DSLR for astrophotography)

Camcorders usually have adjustable recording rates (Best quality-biggest files, least quality-small files)
DSLRs can usually only adjust resolution (640x480 or 1920x1080) but not recording quality

DSLRs usually have a small built in mic but you can attach another.

Summary:
Camcorders have the ergonomics and features specifically designed for recording video.
DSLRs have superior lenses but are still missing a lot of features that are common on most camcorders.

For a DSLR you would need at least a 28-200mm Zoom to come close to the Zoom range of a camcorder. However, this range of zoom lens does not give the best picture quality.

Digital Video Camera vs. Camcorder?




TabithaH


Which is a better purchase between the digital video camera or an actual camcorder? What are the perks and downfalls of each?


Answer
It depends on what you want to use them for and what your budget is... and I guess I need to understand what your definition of a "digital video camera" is - because in my mind, a digital video camera and a camcorder are the same thing - and I'll presume all are digital since analog camcorders aren't very common anymore. I do see a huge difference between a DSC/DSLR and a digital camcorder...

Most digital still cameras that capture video (including the few DSLRs with the capability), will do a fine job taking stills - but the video they capture is very highly compressed and generally a pain to edit. Typically, some sort of video conversion is required. None of them have any sort of audio control - and most of them do only mono (not stereo) audio.

Most camcorders do a fine job capturing video - whether standard definition or high definition - and their built-in stereo mics can provide much better audio capture... even better are those with manual audio control and a mic jack. Their ability to take stills is OK - but nothing spectacular.

If you are referring to the difference between a "digital video camera" - that is, one that saves primarily video to hard disc drive, flash memory or DVD and a "camcorder" as one that saves video to miniDV tape, then let's be clear... All four are camcorders that save video to different digital video formats.

MiniDV tape storing DV or HDV format video compresses digital video stream the least.
Flash memory and hard dics drive compress the video stream into MPEG2 or AVCHD (standard definition or high definition) more than miniDV tape - along with high definition consume-grade AVCHD DVD camcorders.

Standard definition consumer DVD based camcorders the highest compression digital video files in VOB format files that can be very difficult to deal with, they are the worst video quality - and should be avoided.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: DSLR vs. HD Camcorder?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment