Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Now that I have a dslr camera, they invite me to their dinner dates. Should I feel bad?




Pocoyo


They don't usually invite me to dinner dates. Just special occasions but this time it's different, I feel like they invited me because I have a dslr. dafuq


Answer
Well just don't take the camera, or say you left it at home. Jokes on them then isn't it.

Which DSLR camera should I buy? - 3 Choices?




Joe


I'm looking to purchase my first DSLR and have narrowed it down to three specific cameras. I'm mostly interested in taking photographs in the following categories - macro, animal, architecture, panoramic, scenic, and travel - so I want to make sure I select a camera that has good choices when it comes to lenses. I'll also be shooting subjects that are in the distance - birds, mountain ranges, waterfalls, etc. Which one of these three cameras do you believe would be best for all my needs. (p.s. I'm most interested in macro)?

Nikon D40x

Conon EOS 1000D/Digital Rebel XS

Olympus E-510


COMMENTS FROM LAST POST:
Additional Details
Thanks for all the all the reviews and recommendations. All three seem to be good cameras - here's my take on all the comments I've received:

Nikon D40x (not to be confused with the D40) - Some people swear by this camera as an overall very good starting DSLR. Others think it is a joke. This was actually my first choice when I started looking for a DSLR.
The Good: Very good image quality, great comfort
The Bad: Difficult menu, no live view, motor on lenses instead of on the camera makes life difficult and the selection of lenses slim.

Olympus E510 - Olympus seems to be well liked by many pros while others completely disregard it as a choice. I'm wondering if people do not give the Olympus it's due because it is not as much of a brand in comparison to Nikon and Canon.
The Good: Best lenses
The Bad: Not sure about the 4:3 aspect ratio, smaller, less reliable sensor, poor in low light conditions.

Canon XS - Everyone seems to be happy with the Canon.

NextSteps-CameraStor



Answer
This is a great camera, and don't let anyone tell you it's only for beginners. The images that the D60 produces easily rival that of more expensive cameras. When you spend less money on the D60, you are sacrificing a few bells & whistles but not necessarily image quality.

It has all the manual settings you'd expect in an SLR and a very easy-to-navigate (and nice-looking) menu system. The LCD screen is big and bright, and the viewfinder is great as well.

What it's missing (at least when compared to higher end models) and why you don't necessarily need those things:

- No auto-focus on non-AF-S/AF-I lenses. Unless you already have a bunch of old Nikon lenses, this shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure any lens you buy in the future is an AF-S or AF-I.

- No Live View. This is only just becoming standard on higher end cameras and on the ones I have tried I have found it very "clunky" anyway. "Live View" is a hallmark of compact point & shoot cameras, and I think that's where it belongs... at least for now. SLRs are just made for shooting with the viewfinder. It just feels better on a camera like this. If you *need* Live View, look at the Sony SLRs. They seem to implement that feature best.

- Only 3 auto focus points. The D80 has 11, the Canon XSi has 9, blah, blah, blah. Three is enough for most people... heck, one is enough for most people. Yes, having more is nice, but honestly if you are a beginner and don't understand what the benefit of more AF points might even be, you don't need them.

- No exposure bracketing. A helpful feature for making HDR images, but even then it is not necessary.

Those are the biggies. I have my own little nit picks, like:

- No dedicated buttons for ISO or white balance (you can program the Fn button to do it, but it's nice to have a seperate button).

- RAW+JPEG setting only allows you to record a "basic" quality JPEG.

- The ViewNX software supplied with the camera sucks for processing RAW images. If you are going to shoot RAW, get something better like Nikon's CaptureNX, Adobe Camera Raw for Photoshop or Lightroom, or something similar. If those aren't in your budget, RAW Therapee is a great open source RAW processing application. It's light years better than ViewNX in this regard, and it is 100% free of charge!

Now for the major perks:

- The D60 inherits features like Active D-Lighting and Expeed processing from the (much more expensive) D3 and D300 pro SLRs, which the D40 and D40x do not have. Look those things up to see what the benefits are. D-Lighting is subtle, but effective.

- The new kit lens with VR (vibration reduction, Nikon's term for image stabilization) which allows for sharp pictures in lower light conditions when using slower shutter speeds. The D40/D40x have a non-VR version of the same lens. In my opinion, this is the best "kit" lens when compared to what the competition is currently offering (in terms of overall image quality).

- Auto focus assist lamp. Trust me, it's a simple little thing but you'll love having it.

- FAST auto focus (even with those three piddly AF points =)

- Big, bright LCD and viewfinder.

- Superb build quality. Feels much more "pro" in your hand than it's plastic-y competitors.

- Great high ISO performance. Perfectly usable shots at ISO 1600. ISO 3200 is worse, but you could still use it in a pinch and get decent results and small prints. I've printed a couple 8x10s from ISO 1600 shots that look fantastic.

- Which brings me to the most important feature: stellar image quality. Go find sample images online and see for yourself. Forget those chart & graph test shots. Look for real-world samples of real people/things -- that's where you'll really be able to see the D60 shine!

I love my D60. I have been shooting with it every day since I bought it a month ago and have no regrets. It truly is a great camera to learn on for the SLR beginner, but is just as good for those of us with a little experience who are on a budget and don't see the above "cons" as deal breakers. Just buy the thing and go make some beautiful photos!

Price:$540.45




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Now that I have a dslr camera, they invite me to their dinner dates. Should I feel bad?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment