Monday, April 28, 2014

What camera should I buy.... Help!?

Q. Hello,
I am looking for a digital camera.... that takes great pics, doesn't have blurred pics... and if I am on the sidelines at my kids games... it can zoom in and get GREAT shots. What megapixel do I need? What optical zoom do I need? Any brand?
Please help! I am asking for a camera for Christmas...just not sure what kind to ask for.


Answer
Allison, you need to look at a DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) with a telephoto zoom lens.

I currently use a Nikon D70 and a zoom set at 300mm for most of my Little League and soccer photos. It's the same setup I use for my WNBA, NBA, & NCAA football shots, so you can see how versatile it is.

A DSLR will give you almost instantaneous response, without the shutterlag that compact cameras almost always give you. Shutterlag has the camera taking the actual photo a second or more after you've pressed the button, missing that precious moment!

A DSLR will also have a continuous shooting mode for a serious of action shots, helping you to freeze that great catch, kick, or throw.

My recommendation? Get the Nikon D40 or D40x and the Nikon 55-200mm VR. The VR function helps to steady the camera and lens, virtually eliminating the need for a tripod.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/55-200mm-vr.htm

The D40 is a great camera for a beginner and has very easy to use auto modes. Here are some examples of what some ordinary people did with this camera when handed a D40.
http://www.stunningnikon.com/picturetown

And here's a couple of reviews.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/

Here's some photos I took with my D50, the older cousin to the D40. Both cameras have the same 6 megapixel resolution and ease of use. These photos were taken with a Nikon 75-300mm zoom, cropped, and then reduced in size for uploading to the website.
http://www.spmsportspage.com/images/college/football/2007/California-45-Tennessee-31-09-01-2007/index.html

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Can the camera body of a DSLR camera have optical zoom?

Q. Is the lens you put on a DSLR the only thing that determines the optical zoom or can the just camera body contribute to the zoom it has?


Answer
No, the body does not have optical zoom. Zoom is controlled by the lens. If you want a "super zoom" offering 10x or more zoom, you might be better served with $400-$600, super zoom point-n-shoot or bridge camera rather than going through the expense of a $450 DSLR and an $500-$800, 18-200mm or 18-250mm lens. Examples would include Canon's Powershot SX1, SX10 or Nikon's Coolpix L100 and P90.

Very few of the better DSLR lenses offer much more than 3x zoom. There are however 10x or better lenses like Nikon's 18-200mm VR lens that are very useful for general photography. Still, the whole point of a DSLR is the ability to use the right lens for the shot rather than being stuck with a lens that attempts to be a jack of all trades.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What camera should I buy.... Help!?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment