Monday, April 21, 2014

why does a high MP camera makes low MP pictures?

Q. I have a Sony T70, which is a n 8 MP camera. I set it to the highest settings, so it would take 8MP pictures which I can enlarge, but I end up with 2 or less then 2 MP pictures. Why? I am not using the zoom either. What is going on? Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?
Yes, I meant 2MB pictures. The reason I was concerned is beacuse I had a 7 MP camera which made pictures of 4.5 MB, so I figured this one with the 8MP should make at least the same size pictures. But I guess not, maybe Sony makes different cameras, the 7 MP was a Casio model.
Yes, I meant 2MB pictures. The reason I was concerned is because I had a 7 MP camera which made pictures of 4.5 MB, so I figured this one with the 8MP should make at least the same size pictures. But I guess not, maybe Sony makes different cameras, the 7 MP was a Casio model.


Answer
I wonder if you mean MB for the size and not MP. Higher mega pixel sensor can take images in smaller resolution. Cameras use compression to make the file sizes smaller. It is possible to have an 8MP image that is only 2MB in size. You should check the manual for compression settings and adjust for the highest quality lowest compression ratio. This will give you the big files you are looking for.

Based on your added information, it's the compression. Different cameras use different compression ratios. A ratio of 1:4 would be quarter sized while 1:2 would mean the file is compressed half its size without compression. Check your manual for any options on changing the compression. The lower the compression, the larger the files and the better the overall quality. Highly compressed images tend to be significantly less sharp and contain more digital noise.

What is the benefit of higher MP in a digital camera?

Q. So I used to have a canon camera 7 MP, and then I converted to Nikon cool pix 12 MP. However I wasn't satisfied with the results from Nikon as the picture's quality was not THAT good and it mainly just went indept of the face and hair.. would show like any pimple on skin, etc. Canon was a good balanced camera, with great quality. So this left me quite confused, what is the use of higher MP? I'm thinking of purchasing a sony cyber shot either 16 MP or 18 MP. Please clear my confusion, and recommend me any other good digital cameras aswell. Advices/tips are most welcome.
Thanks!


Answer
- More MP = larger image dimensions
- Blur that would not be noticed at lower resolution will be more visible at higher resolution
- Smaller photosites can potentially reveal finer detail (with a sharp lens), but also suffer more noise since individually they capture less light
- Different sensors capture colors differently

Resolution *does not* directly affect sharpnessâthat is the job of the lens and fast shutter speeds.

If you still have your Canon, why not stick with it?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: why does a high MP camera makes low MP pictures?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment