Monday, April 14, 2014

A good DSLR camera that can shoot profession-quality photos?




cmptr_man


Hi there! I'm looking to purchase a mid-level DSLR camera (target budget around $1,000 for body only) that I'm planning on using to start building a photography portfolio with. I'll be shooting portraits, however some shots will be studio while others will be on location. So my perfect camera will need to be able to capture details in low lighting, but also excel at taking crisp shots in nature without losing detail on the subject.

I'm looking for a camera with low noise, so I can print large reproductions (16x20 and up). I'm not opposed to buying a more expensive lens to give it that "professional look", but I want to make sure that if I'm investing that kind of money (> $1500) that the lenses can be used on a better model that I upgrade to down the road. I know that Canon and Nikon can interchange lenses, but if Sony or another brand have a better higher-end product that I can eventually invest in, I'd be willing to go that route.

I know that Canon and Nikon are considered the professional's choice (right???)--however, I used to own a Nikon and found the default saturation of color to be too rich for most of my applications. But that was an older model (don't remember the number--maybe D30??, but it was only 8MP, so it had to be a few years old) so perhaps their products aren't that way anymore.

Video is not important to me at all. If I ever use it, it will be casually (kid's concert or birthday party or something.) The most important thing for me, hands down, is photo quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations to pass along?
Thanks in advance for your help with this!
I'm also kinda curious if anyone's heard good things about Pentax. This is a new manufacturer for me, and I don't know anything about them--though their online reviews look really good. Are they taken seriously in the professional space?
It looks like I may need to provide some more information. I'm not new to photography. I was originally a graphic design student and took several classes in photography--however, that was many years ago, back before the digital era (so, darkroom processing was part of the course list.) Because of personal events in my life, I had to put my passion for the arts on hold. Now, I'm ready to dive back in.

I know exactly what kind of shots I'm looking to do. I've got a great handle on lighting, backdrops, etc. What I'm not entirely sure of is what camera would get me the results I'm looking for.

Perhaps this isn't the best place to ask such questions...



Answer
Have no fears or doubts about Pentax quality.
Pentax have made excellent lenses and cameras for many years, some of the best around.
They were late getting into digital SLRs but all their offerings have been good and got very good reviews.
The K-7 for example is a very well reviewed and highly regarded camera used by many professional photographers.
Every Pentax lens ever made will fit onto the new Pentax digital SLRs and will fit the K-01 CSC camera.
Even their medium format lenses with their longer back focus will fit via adaptors.
Nikon have the same philosophy. Canon changed their mount and upset thousands of loyal users who had to buy new lenses.

A camera must fit you to be efficiently usable in your own hands.
handle some cameras, then decide.
Whatever specs it has, no camera can take professional looking pictures.
Cameras cannot be photographers. That's your job if you want good pictures.
Your graphic design pen cannot draw pictures you don't show it how to draw and it still doesn't know what it's done when the picture is finished, even for a masterpiece, haha
Learn the techniques, lighting, contrast control, balance and composition, much of which which you'll know from graphic design and your photo course.
How to get that magic look from a model. Photographers sometimes have to be brilliant at interpersonal skills, as the office people like to put it.
The patience to wait until the lighting is just right, the clouds are in the right places, the people are in a sympathetic arrangement with your picture idea, the cat or the deer are looking the right way, the scene is set, and then do it right so the moment isn't spoiled.
How to set up and operate the camera so the picture already in your head is actually achievable later using the image recorded by the film or sensor.
Henri knew where to wait, what shutter speed to have already set to get the right degree of blur, what the lines of the picture were, what he wanted the picture to feel like, and he got it right on a simple manual camera long before auto anything existed.
With that simple camera and a standard 50mm lens he practically invented street photography.
http://www.lacasapark.com/la/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/cartier-bresson-hyeres1.jpg
I won't be upgrading my 350D for a long time yet. it's one of the better ones, even better than the 400D.
8 megapixels is plenty for good 20 x16 prints. Plenty of studios still run with those old 350D well-performing workhorses for studio and outdoor work, and there are thousands of even older film cameras still doing sterling service..
While they deliver the goods there's no need to change, no need to learn how to get the best out of a new camera or lens, no need to spend money.
Happy hunting.....

what is the best DSLR camera for HD video 100-170$ ?




Silas


I am looking for A DSLR camera that shoots HD quality video for up to 180$ I see alot of lowpriced DSLR camera's at walmart, and Target, but what model is the best in that price range.


Answer
There is no "dSLR" at that price. Only "point & shoot" that looks like a dSLR. The lens is not changeable. Manual controls are more than a pocket point & shoot, less than a dSLR.

These cameras - and dSLRs and point & shoot are designed to capture still images. Video capture is a secondary "convenience feature". This does not mean they cannot capture good video - when used properly, they can - but they are not camcorders and cannot be treated like one. Prolonged video capture can cause the camera to overheat - and it takes a long time to cool down. Most record mono-audio.

Camcorders are designed for video capture - and as long as there is space on the memory card and power available, capturing video continues - and no issue with the camcorder overheating. Most also record stereo audio. Capturing still images a secondary "convenience feature". This does not mean they cannot capture good stills - when used properly, they can - but they are not dSLRs or bridge cameras or even point & shoot cameras and should not be treated like one.

When you get a tool for a specific application it is best to get it for its primary design purpose. When you get the tool for a secondary design, expect to use work-arounds or plan on having problems.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: A good DSLR camera that can shoot profession-quality photos?
Rating: 92% based on 9788 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment